Negro Leagues Baseball 2022 Proof Five-Dollar Gold Coin
- Standard product sales will be in effect for pre-orders at noon (ET) on January 6, 2022, until the expected shipping date of April 27, 2022.
- Introductory pricing will be in effect for single coin options starting at noon (ET) on January 6, 2022, with regular pricing starting February 7, 2022, at 3:00 PM (ET).
- Please make sure your credit card is not scheduled to expire prior to the shipping date to ensure prompt delivery of your order.
- Minted at the West Point Mint
- Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
The Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coins are being minted in honor of the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Negro National League, a professional baseball league formed in response to African-American players being banned from the major leagues. Public Law 116-209, which authorized the commemorative coin program, requires the coins to be emblematic of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and its mission to promote tolerance, diversity, and inclusion.
Obverse: Features a portrait of player, manager and executive, Andrew “Rube” Foster with his signature. Foster established the Negro National League in a meeting held at the Paseo YMCA in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1920. Inscriptions are “NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” “2022,” and “LIBERTY.”
Reverse: Depicts the gesture of tipping one’s cap, an important sign of respect for players. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “THEIR LEGACY PLAYS ON,” “$5,” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
Surcharges in the amount of $35 for each $5 gold coin sold are authorized to be paid to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum for educational and outreach programs and exhibits.
|Composition:||90% Gold, 6% Silver, Balance Copper|
|Weight:||0.243 troy oz.|
|Diameter:||0.850 inch/21.60 mm|
|Mint and Mint Mark:||West Point - W|