Frequently Asked Questions
Order and Payment Processing
COVID-19-Related Order and Shipping Changes
- Product Availability: Due to limited resources at our Mint facilities as a result of COVID-19, some on-sale dates for products may be delayed. We encourage our customers to check the 2021 Product Schedule for the latest information.
- Shipping: Due to limited resources around COVID-19 at the Fulfillment Center your order may be delayed. We thank you for your patience during this time. We are making every attempt to process and ship your order as soon as possible.
What are order and household limits?
In cases where we have limited-mintage products (e.g., legislatively mandated or Mint established production or mintage limits), the United States Mint may impose order or household limits. Order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible. As we monitor our products, limits may be implemented, adjusted, or removed at our discretion.
How can I use PayPal to pay for my order?
How can I use PayPal to pay for my order?
Customers having an account on the Mint website can use PayPal. Guest users cannot pay with PayPal.
How do I use PayPal on the website?
Before you can pay with PayPal, you need to add a PayPal account as one of your payment methods on the Mint website. There are two ways to do this.
1. Add PayPal in your user profile
Log into your account settings page, select "Edit Cards and Payment," and add a PayPal account by entering your PayPal username and password when prompted.
If you do not already have a PayPal account, you will be guided through the process of opening and funding a PayPal account.
PayPal will be saved to your Mint account as a payment method you can select during future online transactions.
2. Add PayPal during checkout
You may add a PayPal account from the billing screen during checkout*.
After selecting PayPal as your payment method, enter your PayPal username and password when prompted. If you do not already have a PayPal account, you will be guided through the process of opening and funding a PayPal account.
Your transaction will be completed and paid for with PayPal. You will be able to select PayPal for future purchases as well.
*Please see "Changes during high volume drops" for important information on adding new PayPal accounts.
Can I have credit cards and PayPal in my Mint account?
Yes, you can have multiple credit cards and one (1) PayPal account in your Mint profile. During checkout you can choose among these payment options. Only one PayPal account can be linked to your Mint account.
Are there limits on the use of PayPal?
Yes. There are a few ways in which PayPal is different from credit card transactions:
Catalog site only
You cannot use PayPal to pay for transactions through the call center, at Mint sales counters, at conferences the Mint attends, or for wire transactions. PayPal is only available on the catalog website.
PayPal has a maximum limit of $10,000 per transaction, but you may submit multiple transactions in a day. You will not be able to pay for larger transactions with PayPal.
You may be prevented from adding PayPal as a new payment method during checkout when a high-volume drop is underway.
Adding PayPal—especially if you are establishing and funding a new PayPal account—can take a few minutes. During this time, product can sell out during a high volume drop. To prevent you from experiencing sellouts while you are setting up PayPal, we may disable adding PayPal during checkout while high volume drops are in progress.
You will not be prevented from adding PayPal in your User Profile even if a high-volume drop is under way. Once you have added it, you can pay for any product with it.
If you have previously added PayPal to your account, you will be able to use it as normal during high volume drops.
Registered users must be logged into their Mint account in order to utilize PayPal.
Guest users of the Mint’s website cannot utilize PayPal.
I don’t see PayPal as an option during checkout.
There are two reasons you may not see PayPal payment options:
1. To pay with PayPal, you need to have a Mint account (and be logged into it).
2. During a high-volume drop, you may not be able to add PayPal as a new payment method during checkout. Please see “Changes during high volume drops” for additional information.
What is PayPal?
PayPal is a service that enables you to pay, send money, and accept payments. For additional information, please see PayPal’s website.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Payment in U.S. dollars must accompany all orders.
- Orders placed online can be paid using credit cards, PayPal, or United States Mint-issued E-Gift Certificates.
- Orders placed via telephone can be paid using credit cards, United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates, or by wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders that total less than $25,000 can be paid using a credit card, wire transfer, or ACH. Wire and ACH transfers must be received at the United States Mint within 5 business days after placing the order to avoid cancellation.
- Bulk Customer orders of $25,000 or more must be paid using a wire or ACH transfer. Payment must be received at the United States Mint within 5 business days after the order has been placed to avoid cancellation.
The following credit cards are accepted:
- American Express
- Credit Card orders are accepted for online orders up to $24,999.
- PayPal is accepted for online orders up to $10,000.
- ACH transfers (from bulk customers only) are accepted for amounts up to $99,000,000.
We do not accept payments by debit card, unless the card was issued as a check card with a VISA or MasterCard logo.
How can I use ACH (Automated Clearing House) to pay for my order?
Who can use ACH to pay for purchases from the United States Mint?
Only numismatic bulk purchaser account holders can use ACH to pay for purchases from the Mint.
What is ACH?
ACH (Automated Clearing House) is a way to transfer funds between bank accounts. When you pay the Mint using ACH, you are making a payment from your bank account directly to the Mint.
There are two types of ACH payments: ACH debit and ACH credit. An ACH debit grants a business the ability to pull funds from your account. An ACH credit transfers funds from your account to the payee’s account. The Mint only accepts ACH credit transfers.
How do I use ACH to pay for my order?
To use ACH to pay for an order, follow these steps:
1. Make sure you are a bulk account holder and logged into your account.
2. Add products to your cart, starting the checkout process when ready.
3. Select ACH as your payment method and complete checkout.
4. The website will display the information you need to provide in order to transfer money from your account to the Mint and have the amount linked back to your transaction. This information includes account and routing numbers and a transaction identification number. The information you enter will be included in your order confirmation email.
5. You will then need to initiate an ACH transfer from your bank account to the Mint. This can often be done through your bank’s website. Be sure to have the confirmation email with you so you can enter the necessary information.
6. Your ACH transfer must be received by the Mint within five business days after you complete Step # 4 above. We may cancel your order without notice after five business days.
7. Your ACH transfer (Step # 5) must exactly match the amount of your purchase (Step # 4). If the amounts are not the same, the payment will not be accepted.
How do I use ACH over the phone?
If you place your order over the phone, you may still pay with ACH if you are a bulk account holder. Tell the customer service agent that you want to use ACH, and the agent will give you directions for transferring funds to the Mint. You will also receive a confirmation email containing the instructions.
What is the dollar limit for ACH transactions?
ACH transactions may be used for orders totaling up to $99,000,000.
What should I do if I don’t see ACH as an option during checkout?
Make sure you are a bulk account holder and are logged into your account. Otherwise, you will not see the ACH transfer payment option.
Why do I have to be a bulk account holder to use ACH?
The Mint only accepts ACH credit transfers as described above (see “What is ACH?”). Most non-business accounts do not have the capability for ACH credit transfers. To avoid confusion for our customers, we do not offer ACH outside of our bulk channel.
What is a surcharge?
Commemorative coin programs are created by acts of Congress to honor a person, place, or event. Surcharges from the sales of these coins help fund a variety of organizations and projects that benefit the public. Commemorative coins are only available from the United States Mint for a limited time, as specified by public law.
Will I be charged sales tax?
Since the United States Mint is a federal government operation, purchases are exempt from sales tax.
When will my credit card be charged?
Your credit card will be charged as items are shipped from our distribution center. Charges reflect the items in the package as well as shipping and handling. You are only charged shipping and handling once per order for destinations within the United States of America and its territories.
Can I modify or cancel my order?
You may not modify or cancel an order after it has been processed for shipment. If adding items, please submit a new order.
You may cancel your order prior to processing by contacting Customer Service:
- United States Customers: 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)
- Speech/Hearing Impaired Customers (TTY): 1-888-321-MINT (6468)
- International Customers: 001-202-898-MINT (6468)
How do I find order history?
Log into your account using the "Sign-In" feature. Once logged in, access "Order History" to view a summary of your purchase history. Select individual orders to view the details.
What does "Hold" mean?
Hold means we are reviewing your order for processing.
Examples of systemic hold conditions: product enrollment orders experiencing credit card decline, orders paid by wire transfers pending receipt of wire, and potential fraud orders.
What are the United States Mint's standard processing and fulfillment procedures?
The United States Mint processes all orders on a first-in, first-served basis. Once an order confirmation number is generated, the order is processed in the sequence it was received. Please allow 1-2 days for processing. Inventory is immediately reserved and the order fulfillment process begins. This includes products with a backorder status once inventory becomes available. Orders placed before the official on-sale date/time are not valid and will be cancelled.
- If an order has outstanding issues (such as credit card holds, household order limit violations, or address verification conflicts), the next orders in line can be fulfilled before the one with outstanding issues. While the issues for an order are being worked out, the status of an order may display "hold" during this time. Once the outstanding issues are resolved, the order is re-inserted next in line. Accordingly, such re-inserted orders will not be processed for shipment in the same sequence as their order numbers.
- Each day, the order management system generates several "ship lists" which contain all of the orders in line that have been cleared for shipment. These orders can be broken into categories to gain efficiencies; however, within the categories, orders will be shipped in sequence.
- Personnel at the fulfillment center package and prepare for shipping all orders on their designated ship list in the most efficient manner. After an order is completely packaged and prepared for shipment, it is then moved to the shipping team for carrier pick-up. If the product is moved to the carrier pick-up area, an e-mail ship confirmation will be sent to the customer with tracking information.
- If, by the end of the day, all orders on the daily ship lists did not complete the fulfillment process, which is complete with the e-mail ship confirmation, those orders carry over to the next day. For example, if the daily ship list contained the next 3,000 orders in line, but the fulfillment center only completed to shipment 2,000 orders, the remaining 1,000 orders carry over to the next day.
What should I do if I do not receive all or part of my order?
If your order did not arrive, or arrived with missing products, please fill out and return the attached Certificate of Non-Receipt (CNR) within 30 calendar days after the order shipment date. When we receive your CNR, we will review your claim and provide resolution within six weeks.
Please send a completed form to the address or fax number below:
UNITED STATES MINT
CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER
1201 ELM ST
DALLAS, TX 75270
Fax Number: 972-421-9801
If you cannot open the CNR file, please download the Adobe reader.
Where can I buy E-Gift Certificates?
About e-Gift Certificates:
- Available in denominations of $25, $50, $75, $100, and $200.
- Purchases are processed directly through our website (by you or one of our customer contact center agents or at a retail location).
- Received in a purchase acknowledgement email, which includes: Purchaser’s name, certificate number, date of purchase, purchase amount.
- Used to make a full or partial e-gift certificate payment with a single credit card for the remaining balance.
- Balance can be checked on our website using the assigned e-Gift Certificate number.
- Will be reissued for customer returns, cancellations, or any other situation requiring crediting funds back to an e-gift certificate.
Please visit the "E-Gift Certificates product page" to purchase or view information on E-Gift Certificates.
Please reference our "E-Gift Certificate Balance Page" to check the balance of a current E-Gift Certificate.
E-Gift Certificate Restrictions
- U.S. Mint E-Gift Certificates may not be combined with other offers or coupons and may only be used for purchases from the U.S. Mint Online Catalog.
- You cannot purchase an E-Gift Certificate with another E-Gift Certificate.
- If the amount of your E-Gift Certificate(s) does NOT cover the total order amount, you will need to pay the remainder of the purchase with a valid credit card.
- If the amount of your E-Gift Certificate(s) is for MORE than the total order amount, the balance will be stored for your next purchase using the same E-Gift Certificate code.
- If you have any additional questions, please Contact Customer Service 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
- E-Gift Certificates are non-refundable and are not redeemable for cash (except where required by state law).
- We cannot replace lost or stolen E-Gift Certificates.
Allocation of Inventory
Once you add items to your bag, the inventory is not allocated to your order until you complete the check out process. If the item sells out while the products are in your bag, the inventory will not be available to check out unless it's on backorder.