Frequently Asked Questions
Most Popular Questions
COVID-19 Updates from the United States Mint
Ordering and Shipping Changes
- Product Availability: Due to limited resources at our Mint facilities as a result of COVID-19, some on-sale dates for products may be delayed. We encourage our customers to check the 2021 Product Schedule for the latest information.
- Phone ordering currently disabled: Due to operational adjustments in response to COVID-19, our customer service representatives are available to assist with any questions you may have, but are unable to accept credit card information or place your order over the phone. Please use our website for all order placements at this time.
- Shipping: Due to limited resources around COVID-19 at the Fulfillment Center your order may be delayed. We thank you for your patience during this time. We are making every attempt to process and ship your order as soon as possible.
Message from United States Mint Director David J. Ryder
Dear Valued Mint Customer,
As the global impacts of COVID-19 continue to evolve, my top priority remains the health, safety, and well-being of the Mint workforce – the men and women who work hard to ensure you receive the highest quality products.
As part of the Federal workforce we have and will continue to follow all guidance provided to the Federal Government, to include the information provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As we do this, the decisions I make will undoubtedly impact the on sale dates, availability, and delivery of some of our numismatic products, and you may also experience longer wait times when calling our customer service number. It is because of this that I ask for your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times.
I encourage you to use the United States Mint catalog site https://catalog.usmint.gov/ as your primary source of the most current information on product and service status.
Thank you for your patronage and continued dedication to the United States Mint. Please do all you can to be safe, stay healthy, and to keep others safe. We are all in this together, and we will get through it together.
What is the United States Mint Loyalty Program?
As a special thank you to our most loyal customers, we would like to introduce you to the United States Mint Loyalty Program. When you make three or more purchases, you’ll enjoy free shipping on all future orders placed the same year.
HOW IT WORKS
You need to have a Mint customer account and be subscribed to emails. Be sure to log into the same account for all your purchases.
Not a registered user? Create an Account
Three Orders Per Year
Place 3 orders in the calendar year to be eligible for free shipping. Qualification will be made when your order ships.
All Purchases Count
All your orders (web, phone, or enrollment) count toward your minimum order total. Enrollment orders receive free budget shipping by default, but must ship before they count towards Loyalty Program qualification.
Free Budget Shipping
Once you qualify for the United States Mint Loyalty Program, you’ll automatically receive free budget shipping for all future orders within the continental United States that are placed in the same calendar year.
Total order count for program qualification restarts on January 1st each year.
What's the difference between bullion, proof, uncirculated, and circulating coins?
Bullion Coins: Are precious metal coins intended for investors. They are:
- Valued by the weight of the precious metal, which fluctuates based on its daily price.
- Not sold to the general public through the United States Mint. Instead, these coins are sold through dealers located throughout the United States.
The remaining qualities of coins are sold directly by the United States Mint to collectors and others as gifts and keepsakes. They are:
Proof Coins: Are the finest quality of coin produced by the United States Mint. The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice. The coins are then carefully packaged to showcase and preserve their exceptional finish. These coins:
- Are struck at least twice, which gives the coin a frosted, sculpted foreground for a glamorous shine; defined, intricate design; and mirror-like background.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
- Are encased in a protective capsule.
Uncirculated Coins: Are hand-loaded into the coining press and struck on specially burnished blanks, yet have a soft, matte-like finish appearance. These coins:
- Are made like circulating coins (which are used everyday as money), but with a special process that produces a brilliant finish.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
Circulating Coins: Are produced for circulations, but those sold directly by the United States Mint are never released to the Federal Reserve Bank. These coins:
- Are typically offered by the Mint in rolls, bags or boxes, which do not include Certificates of Authenticity.
Does the United States Mint offer signature required shipping?
Due to COVID-19, many carriers are not currently requiring customer signatures, so the United States Mint is not making that shipping option available. As the situation changes, we will continually examine options and make updates to best serve our customers.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Payment in U.S. dollars must accompany all orders.
- Orders placed online can be paid using credit cards, PayPal, or United States Mint-issued E-Gift Certificates.
- Orders placed via telephone can be paid using credit cards, United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates, or by wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders that total less than $25,000 can be paid using a credit card, wire transfer, or ACH. Wire and ACH transfers must be received at the United States Mint within 5 business days after placing the order to avoid cancellation.
- Bulk Customer orders of $25,000 or more must be paid using a wire or ACH transfer. Payment must be received at the United States Mint within 5 business days after the order has been placed to avoid cancellation.
The following credit cards are accepted:
- American Express
- Credit Card orders are accepted for online orders up to $24,999.
- PayPal is accepted for online orders up to $10,000.
- ACH transfers (from bulk customers only) are accepted for amounts up to $99,000,000.
We do not accept payments by debit card, unless the card was issued as a check card with a VISA or MasterCard logo.
Can I return items or request a refund?
Please refer to our “ Shipping Information and Return Policy” page for complete information regarding returns and refunds.
What’s the United States Mint Return Policy?
If for any reason within 7 days of receiving your product you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return the entire product for refund. Shipping charges will not be refunded for all returns. If your order included a free accompanying item, please see our FAQ for additional instructions.
The United States Mint will not accept partial returns nor will it issue partial refunds. For example, if you receive a United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ where one coin is in unacceptable condition, you must return the entire Proof Set, not just the one coin, to receive a refund.
The United States Mint reserves the right to limit or refuse a return or to charge a fee for excessive returns. In addition, the Mint reserves the right to suspend accounts of customers with a pattern of excessive returns.
For your protection, we strongly recommend that you return your order by insured mail and save the receipt for your records. The United States Mint is not responsible for lost return shipments.
All refunds will be credited in United States Dollars.
For further information about returns or refunds, Contact Customer Service.
Certificate of Non-Receipt (CNR)
If your order did not arrive, or arrived with missing products, please fill out the attached Certificate of Non-Receipt (CNR) within 30 calendar days after the order shipment date. When we receive your CNR, we will review your claim and provide resolution within four to six weeks. We are unable to process completed CNRs received more than 90 calendar days after the order shipment date.
Please send a completed form to the address or fax number below:
UNITED STATES MINT
CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER
1201 ELM ST
DALLAS, TX 75270
Fax Number: 972-421-9801
If you cannot open the CNR file, please download the Adobe reader.
Do I need to return Free Accompanying Items I received with a required purchase?
What if I want to return the “required purchase item” for exchange or refund?
In order to receive an exchange or refund for the “required purchase item,” in addition to returning the “required purchase item,” you must also return all free accompanying “bonus” items. This requirement was instituted to avoid potential abuse of our return policy by customers only wishing to obtain the free accompanying “bonus” item.
What happens if I want to exchange the free accompanying “bonus” item?
The United States Mint will not be issuing exchange replacements for this item. It is a complimentary item for which you incurred no cost.
Why is the return and exchange of these items handled this way?
We are requiring this for one reason: to alleviate abuse of our return policy by customers who just wish to obtain the free accompanying “bonus” item. The free accompanying “bonus” item will be part of every order meeting the required minimum purchase requirements and must accompany every return of the required purchase items.
Is a free accompanying “bonus” item sold separately?
Generally, no. There is usually a required minimum purchase amount or specific item and quantity that must be purchased to qualify for any free or premium items offered. If there is an offer of a free accompanying item it will be noted on the website, product page, during checkout, or on your order confirmation.
Will there be a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for the free accompanying “bonus” item?
Usually, there will not be a COA for the free accompanying “bonus” item unless that item is an actual set that can be purchased alone.
What happens if I ordered and/or received a free accompanying item in error?
You should contact the Mint for instructions. The Mint may also reach out via email or letter to inform you of the error and provide instructions for return. This is to maintain fairness for our customers who met purchase requirements to obtain the free item. If there is an opportunity for you to keep the free item it will be offered. You may request reimbursement of shipping costs for the return but must present the receipt along with your request.
What if I don’t return the free accompanying item?
Customers who have obtained the free accompanying item without making the required purchase will be contacted by Mint. The Mint may also place a hold on the customer’s account and all open/unshipped orders pending the return of the free accompanying item(s). The hold will prevent future orders and prevent open orders from shipping. The holds will only be released when the item is returned and received.
What’s the United States Mint Shipping Policy?
The United States Mint offers its customers various shipping options.
- Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.
- In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.
- Registered and guest users may use Track Order to determine the status of your order and follow your shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. Guest users with other inquiries about their order, or those wishing to cancel an order prior to shipment, should Contact Customer Service at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
- The United States Mint ships within the United States and the following United States territories: American Samoa, Guam, Marianas Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.
- Regardless of shipping method selected, The United States Mint selects from a number of carriers to deliver your package.
- Shipping charges are subject to change without notice.
- For more information on shipping methods, Contact Customer Service.
The table below outlines the United States Mint online catalog shipping options, costs, and estimated shipping times from our distribution center. Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus the additional delivery times below.
|Delivery Method||Price (U.S. Dollars||Approximate Shipping Time|
|Budget Shipping||$4.95||1–2 weeks|
|Standard Shipping||$12.95||3–6 business days|
|Expedited Shipping||$17.95||2–3 business days|
|Next Day Shipping||$20.95||Next business day|
|International Shipping||$17.90 + $2.95 per item||1–2 weeks|
- Orders completed by phone or through the United States Mint Online Catalog have a budget shipping fee of $4.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's budget shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- Orders completed by phone or through the United States Mint Online Catalog using standard shipping method have a fee of $12.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's standard shipping option usually arrive within 3 to 6 business days.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 3 to 6 business days for delivery.
- You will be charged $17.95 for the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option usually arrive within 2 to 3 business days.
- Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 2 to 3 business days for delivery.
- There is no Expedited Shipping option available for International orders.
Next Day Shipping
- You will be charged $20.95 for the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option typically arrive the following business day if the order is received by noon ET.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 1 business day for delivery.
- There is no Next Day Shipping option available for International orders.
- You will be charged $17.90 plus a $2.95 handling fee per item for the United States Mint's International Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's International Shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are not reflected in our prices. Duties and taxes are levied by your country or other overseas authority once a shipment reaches your country.
- You may also be required to pay additional charges for customs clearance. You should contact your local customs office for further information on applicable duties, taxes, restrictions, and fees.
The United States Mint ships most products to the geographical locations listed below. This list is subject to change without notice.
|BERMUDA||BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS||CANADA|
|CAYMAN ISLANDS/BRIT. WEST IND||CHILE||CHINA|
|GERMANY||GREAT BRITAIN NORTHERN IRELAND||GREECE|
|QATAR||REPUBLIC OF KOREA (S. KOREA)||REPUBLIC OF SAN MARINO|
|RUSSIAN FEDERATION||SAUDI ARABIA||SINGAPORE|
|TURKEY||UNITED ARAB EMIRATES|
How do you price your products?
The United States Mint works on a cost-recovery basis. We cannot use any tax dollars to fund our numismatic operations. Our goal is to provide the best quality numismatic products while keeping prices as low as practicable.
Our prices must be self-sufficient and cover all of the associated costs of our numismatic portfolio, plus enough margin to cushion against volatility. To achieve self-sufficiency, we determine the estimated cost to produce and sell the product. That price is used as our baseline. To calculate margin, we ask ourselves questions like:
- Are the proposed prices of this product consistent with similar products we offer of this type?
- Will the customer perceive this as a good value?
- Are we reaching as many customers as we can should we sell at this price?
- If we do not sell all of a specific product, is there enough budgeted for proper disposition (e.g., recovery, melting, recycling)?
Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., palladium, platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount. You’ll find detailed pricing instructions here. If you need the Adobe reader, you can get it from Adobe.
The United States Mint’s numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer. Any excess funds are returned to the Treasury General Fund to reduce the annual budget deficit of the federal government.
What are order and household limits?
In cases where we have limited-mintage products (e.g., legislatively mandated or Mint established production or mintage limits), the United States Mint may impose order or household limits. Order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible. As we monitor our products, limits may be implemented, adjusted, or removed at our discretion.
What are the United States Mint's standard processing and fulfillment procedures?
The United States Mint processes all orders on a first-in, first-served basis. Once an order confirmation number is generated, the order is processed in the sequence it was received. Please allow 1-2 days for processing. Inventory is immediately reserved and the order fulfillment process begins. This includes products with a backorder status once inventory becomes available. Orders placed before the official on-sale date/time are not valid and will be cancelled.
- If an order has outstanding issues (such as credit card holds, household order limit violations, or address verification conflicts), the next orders in line can be fulfilled before the one with outstanding issues. While the issues for an order are being worked out, the status of an order may display "hold" during this time. Once the outstanding issues are resolved, the order is re-inserted next in line. Accordingly, such re-inserted orders will not be processed for shipment in the same sequence as their order numbers.
- Each day, the order management system generates several "ship lists" which contain all of the orders in line that have been cleared for shipment. These orders can be broken into categories to gain efficiencies; however, within the categories, orders will be shipped in sequence.
- Personnel at the fulfillment center package and prepare for shipping all orders on their designated ship list in the most efficient manner. After an order is completely packaged and prepared for shipment, it is then moved to the shipping team for carrier pick-up. If the product is moved to the carrier pick-up area, an e-mail ship confirmation will be sent to the customer with tracking information.
- If, by the end of the day, all orders on the daily ship lists did not complete the fulfillment process, which is complete with the e-mail ship confirmation, those orders carry over to the next day. For example, if the daily ship list contained the next 3,000 orders in line, but the fulfillment center only completed to shipment 2,000 orders, the remaining 1,000 orders carry over to the next day.
Where is my order?
If your order contains only products that are "in stock," we will process your order within 7 business days. Depending on your choice of shipping options, please allow approximately 1-2 weeks for delivery from the date of processing. If you've ordered products that are in "backordered" status, your order may take longer than our standard processing and shipping time.
Registered and guest users may use "Track Order" to determine the status of their order and follow its shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. There may be a delay on the shipper's end to display tracking information.
There are 5 types of order statuses:
- Hold: Your order is being reviewed for processing.
- Processing: Your order is being reviewed and processed for shipment.
- Expected to ship: The date we expect to ship your backordered product.
- Shipped: Your order has been shipped
- Cancelled: Your order has been cancelled at your request or at the discretion of the United States Mint.
Please refer to our "Shipping Information & Return Policy" page for shipping timeframes.
How can I reset my password?
Here’s how you can reset your password if you’ve forgotten it:
1. Go to the account login page.
2. Click the “forgot password” link. (It’s below the Sign In button.)
3. On the page that opens:
a. Enter the email address you used when you created your account.
b. Select one of the security questions you chose when you set up your account.
c. Answer the security question in the space provided.
d. Click Send
4. If you answered the security question correctly, you will see a confirmation message, and we will send directions for resetting your password to your email address.
5. If you see a message that “credentials are incorrect,” you may have answered your security question incorrectly. You may try again, or you may try a different security question that you may have used.
6. When you receive the password reset email, click the “reset password” button. You’ll be taken to a screen where you can enter a new password for your account.
If you haven’t forgotten your password and are logged into your account, you can also change your password:
1. Go to your account settings page.
2. Click Edit Account Settings and enter the following information:
a. Confirm your email address
b. Enter a new password
c. Re-enter the new password
d. Select one of the security questions you chose when you set up your account.
e. Answer the security question in the space provided.
g. Click Apply
In order to provide our customers with a safe and secure website experience, your password will need to be reset to meet the criteria below:
- One upper and one lowercase letter
- One special character
- One number
- At least eight characters in length
If you have any questions, you may contact us at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)