Frequently Asked Questions
Most Popular Questions
What is the United States Mint Loyalty Program?
As a special thank you to our most loyal customers, we would like to introduce you to the United States Mint Loyalty Program. When you make three or more purchases, you’ll enjoy free shipping on all future orders placed the same year.
HOW IT WORKS
You need to have a Mint customer account and be subscribed to emails. Be sure to log into the same account for all your purchases.
Not a registered user? Create an Account
Three Orders Per Year
Place 3 orders in the calendar year to be eligible for free shipping. Qualification will be made when your order ships.
All Purchases Count
All your orders (web, phone, or enrollment) count toward your minimum order total. Enrollment orders receive free budget shipping by default, but must ship before they count towards Loyalty Program qualification.
Free Budget Shipping
Once you qualify for the United States Mint Loyalty Program, you’ll automatically receive free budget shipping for all future orders within the continental United States that are placed in the same calendar year.
Total order count for program qualification restarts on January 1st each year.
What's the difference between bullion, proof, uncirculated, and circulating coins?
Bullion Coins: Are precious metal coins intended for investors. They are:
- Valued by the weight of the precious metal, which fluctuates based on its daily price.
- Not sold to the general public through the United States Mint. Instead, these coins are sold through dealers located throughout the United States.
The remaining qualities of coins are sold directly by the United States Mint to collectors and others as gifts and keepsakes. They are:
Proof Coins: Are the finest quality of coin produced by the United States Mint. The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice. The coins are then carefully packaged to showcase and preserve their exceptional finish. These coins:
- Are struck at least twice, which gives the coin a frosted, sculpted foreground for a glamorous shine; defined, intricate design; and mirror-like background.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
- Are encased in a protective capsule.
Uncirculated Coins: Are hand-loaded into the coining press and struck on specially burnished blanks, yet have a soft, matt-like finish appearance. These coins:
- Are made like circulating coins (which are used everyday as money), but with a special process that produces a brilliant finish.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
Circulating Coins: Are produced for circulations, but those sold directly by the United States Mint are never released to the Federal Reserve Bank. These coins:
- Are typically offered by the Mint in rolls, bags or boxes, which do not include Certificates of Authenticity.
Why is a "signature required"?
Due to the value of your order, your order may be modified to a shipping method that requires an adult signature at the time of delivery. This shipping method is automatically selected to ensure the product arrives to you safely and securely; however, this may be different than the Shipping & Handling option selected during checkout. We recommend selecting a convenient shipping address that allows you to sign for your United States Mint product upon delivery.
- Once an order is placed, the shipping address cannot be modified.
- If the order has been processed for shipment, you must contact the carrier to determine options for receipt of the shipment.
- You are not required to be personally present; however, an adult (21 years of age or older) must be available to sign for your United States Mint delivery.
- If an adult is not present to receive this package, a number of additional attempts to deliver will be made (number of attempts dependent on carrier). If all attempts are unsuccessful, your order will be returned to the distribution center, and a full refund will be processed to the original form of payment. If you would like to request a pick up from a carrier location, please contact the carrier directly.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Payment in U.S. dollars must accompany all orders.
- Orders placed online can be paid using credit cards, PayPal, or United States Mint-issued E-Gift Certificates.
- Orders placed via telephone can be paid using credit cards, United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates, or a wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders which total less than $24,999.99 can be paid using a credit card or wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders that total $24,999.99 or more must be paid using a wire transfer. Payment must be received at the United States Mint within 10 calendar days after the order has been placed to avoid cancellation.
The following credit cards are accepted:
- American Express
- Credit Card orders are accepted for online orders up to $24,999.
- PayPal is accepted for online orders up to $10,000.
We do not accept payments through debit cards, unless when issued as check cards with a VISA or MasterCard logo.
How can I use PayPal to pay for my order?
How can I use PayPal to pay for my order?
Customers having an account on the Mint website can use PayPal. Guest users cannot pay with PayPal.
How do I use PayPal on the website?
Before you can pay with PayPal, you need to add a PayPal account as one of your payment methods on the Mint website. There are two ways to do this.
1. Add PayPal in your user profile
Log into your account settings page, select "Edit Cards and Payment," and add a PayPal account by entering your PayPal username and password when prompted.
If you do not already have a PayPal account, you will be guided through the process of opening and funding a PayPal account.
PayPal will be saved to your Mint account as a payment method you can select during future online transactions.
2. Add PayPal during checkout
You may add a PayPal account from the billing screen during checkout*.
After selecting PayPal as your payment method, enter your PayPal username and password when prompted. If you do not already have a PayPal account, you will be guided through the process of opening and funding a PayPal account.
Your transaction will be completed and paid for with PayPal. You will be able to select PayPal for future purchases as well.
*Please see "Changes during high volume drops" for important information on adding new PayPal accounts.
Can I have credit cards and PayPal in my Mint account?
Yes, you can have multiple credit cards and one (1) PayPal account in your Mint profile. During checkout you can choose among these payment options. Only one PayPal account can be linked to your Mint account.
Are there limits on the use of PayPal?
Yes. There are a few ways in which PayPal is different from credit card transactions:
Catalog site only
You cannot use PayPal to pay for transactions through the call center, at Mint sales counters, at conferences the Mint attends, or for wire transactions. PayPal is only available on the catalog website.
PayPal has a maximum limit of $10,000 per transaction, but you may submit multiple transactions in a day. You will not be able to pay for larger transactions with PayPal.
You may be prevented from adding PayPal as a new payment method during checkout when a high-volume drop is underway.
Adding PayPal—especially if you are establishing and funding a new PayPal account—can take a few minutes. During this time, product can sell out during a high volume drop. To prevent you from experiencing sellouts while you are setting up PayPal, we may disable adding PayPal during checkout while high volume drops are in progress.
You will not be prevented from adding PayPal in your User Profile even if a high-volume drop is under way. Once you have added it, you can pay for any product with it.
If you have previously added PayPal to your account, you will be able to use it as normal during high volume drops.
Registered users must be logged into their Mint account in order to utilize PayPal.
Guest users of the Mint’s website cannot utilize PayPal.
I don’t see PayPal as an option during checkout.
There are two reasons you may not see PayPal payment options:
1. To pay with PayPal, you need to have a Mint account (and be logged into it).
2. During a high-volume drop, you may not be able to add PayPal as a new payment method during checkout. Please see “Changes during high volume drops” for additional information.
What is PayPal?
PayPal is a service that enables you to pay, send money, and accept payments. For additional information, please see PayPal’s website.
What’s the United States Mint Return Policy?
If for any reason within 7 days of receiving your product you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return the entire product for refund. Shipping charges will not be refunded for all returns.
The United States Mint will not accept partial returns nor will it issue partial refunds. For example, if you receive a United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ where one coin is in unacceptable condition, you must return the entire Proof Set, not just the one coin, to receive a refund.
The United States Mint reserves the right to limit or refuse a return or to charge a fee for excessive returns. In addition, the Mint reserves the right to suspend accounts of customers with a pattern of excessive returns.
For your protection, we strongly recommend that you return your order by insured mail and save the receipt for your records. The United States Mint is not responsible for lost return shipments.
All refunds will be credited in United States Dollars.
For further information about returns or refunds, Contact Customer Service.
Certificate of Non-Receipt (CNR)
If your order did not arrive or arrived with missing products, please fill out the attached CNR (Certificate of Non-Receipt) document 30 days after the scheduled delivery. Upon receipt of your CNR we will review your claim and provide resolution within 4-6 weeks. Any Certificate of Non-Receipt received after 60 calendar days of their scheduled delivery will be denied.
Please send a completed form to the address or fax number below:
UNITED STATES MINT
CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER
1201 ELM ST
DALLAS, TX 75270
Fax Number: 972-421-9801
If you cannot open the CNR file, please download the Adobe reader.
What’s the United States Mint Shipping Policy?
The United States Mint offers its customers various shipping options.
- Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.
- In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.
- Registered and guest users may use Track Order to determine the status of your order and follow your shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. Guest users with other inquiries about their order, or those wishing to cancel an order prior to shipment, should Contact Customer Service at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
- The United States Mint ships within the United States and the following United States territories: American Samoa, Guam, Marianas Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.
- Regardless of shipping method selected, The United States Mint selects from a number of carriers to deliver your package.
- Shipping charges are subject to change without notice.
- Orders with merchandise valued at $300 or more, or orders containing any precious metals, will require an adult signature upon delivery.
- For more information on shipping methods, Contact Customer Service.
The table below outlines the United States Mint online catalog shipping options, costs, and estimated shipping times from our distribution center. Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus the additional delivery times below.
|Delivery Method||Price (U.S. Dollars||Approximate Shipping Time|
|Budget Shipping||$4.95||1–2 weeks|
|Standard Shipping||$12.95||3–6 business days|
|Expedited Shipping||$17.95||2–3 business days|
|Next Day Shipping||$20.95||Next business day|
|International Shipping||$17.90 + $2.95 per item||1–2 weeks|
- Orders completed by phone or through the United States Mint Online Catalog have a budget shipping fee of $4.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's budget shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- Orders completed by phone or through the United States Mint Online Catalog using standard shipping method have a fee of $12.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's standard shipping option usually arrive within 3 to 6 business days.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 3 to 6 business days for delivery.
- You will be charged $17.95 for the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option usually arrive within 2 to 3 business days.
- Orders with Merchandise valued at $300 or more with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to signature-required Ground Shipping. Gift Wrap and Shipping and Handling charges are not considered part of the Merchandise total.
- Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 2 to 3 business days for delivery.
- There is no Expedited Shipping option available for International orders.
Next Day Shipping
- You will be charged $20.95 for the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option typically arrive the following business day if the order is received by noon ET.
- Please allow 1-2 business days for order processing plus 1 business day for delivery.
- There is no Next Day Shipping option available for International orders.
- You will be charged $17.90 plus a $2.95 handling fee per item for the United States Mint's International Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's International Shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are not reflected in our prices. Duties and taxes are levied by your country or other overseas authority once a shipment reaches your country.
- You may also be required to pay additional charges for customs clearance. You should contact your local customs office for further information on applicable duties, taxes, restrictions, and fees.
The United States Mint ships most products to the geographical locations listed below. This list is subject to change without notice.
|BERMUDA||BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS||CANADA|
|CAYMAN ISLANDS/BRIT. WEST IND||CHILE||CHINA|
|GERMANY||GREAT BRITAIN NORTHERN IRELAND||GREECE|
|QATAR||REPUBLIC OF KOREA (S. KOREA)||REPUBLIC OF SAN MARINO|
|RUSSIAN FEDERATION||SAUDI ARABIA||SINGAPORE|
|TURKEY||UNITED ARAB EMIRATES|
How do you price your products?
The United States Mint works on a cost-recovery basis. We cannot use any tax dollars to fund our numismatic operations. Our goal is to provide the best quality numismatic products while keeping prices as low as practicable.
Our prices must be self-sufficient and cover all of the associated costs of our numismatic portfolio, plus enough margin to cushion against volatility. To achieve self-sufficiency, we determine the estimated cost to produce and sell the product. That price is used as our baseline. To calculate margin, we ask ourselves questions like:
- Are the proposed prices of this product consistent with similar products we offer of this type?
- Will the customer perceive this as a good value?
- Are we reaching as many customers as we can should we sell at this price?
- If we do not sell all of a specific product, is there enough budgeted for proper disposition (e.g., recovery, melting, recycling)?
Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount. You’ll find detailed pricing instructions here. If you need the Adobe reader, you can get it from Adobe.
The United States Mint’s numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer. Any excess funds are returned to the Treasury General Fund to reduce the annual budget deficit of the federal government.
What are order and household limits?
In cases where we have limited-mintage products (e.g., legislatively mandated or Mint established production or mintage limits), the United States Mint may impose order or household limits. Order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible. As we monitor our products, limits may be implemented, adjusted, or removed at our discretion.
What are the United States Mint's standard processing and fulfillment procedures?
The United States Mint processes all orders on a first-in, first-served basis. Once an order confirmation number is generated, the order is processed in the sequence it was received. Please allow 1-2 days for processing. Inventory is immediately reserved and the order fulfillment process begins. This includes products with a backorder status once inventory becomes available. Orders placed before the official on-sale date/time are not valid and will be cancelled.
- If an order has outstanding issues (such as credit card holds, household order limit violations, or address verification conflicts), the next orders in line can be fulfilled before the one with outstanding issues. While the issues for an order are being worked out, the status of an order may display "hold" during this time. Once the outstanding issues are resolved, the order is re-inserted next in line. Accordingly, such re-inserted orders will not be processed for shipment in the same sequence as their order numbers.
- Each day, the order management system generates several "ship lists" which contain all of the orders in line that have been cleared for shipment. These orders can be broken into categories to gain efficiencies; however, within the categories, orders will be shipped in sequence.
- Personnel at the fulfillment center package and prepare for shipping all orders on their designated ship list in the most efficient manner. After an order is completely packaged and prepared for shipment, it is then moved to the shipping team for carrier pick-up. If the product is moved to the carrier pick-up area, an e-mail ship confirmation will be sent to the customer with tracking information.
- If, by the end of the day, all orders on the daily ship lists did not complete the fulfillment process, which is complete with the e-mail ship confirmation, those orders carry over to the next day. For example, if the daily ship list contained the next 3,000 orders in line, but the fulfillment center only completed to shipment 2,000 orders, the remaining 1,000 orders carry over to the next day.
Where is my order?
If your order contains only products that are "in stock," we will process your order within 7 business days. Depending on your choice of shipping options, please allow approximately 1-2 weeks for delivery from the date of processing. If you've ordered products that are in "backordered" status, your order may take longer than our standard processing and shipping time.
Registered and guest users may use "Track Order" to determine the status of their order and follow its shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. There may be a delay on the shipper's end to display tracking information.
There are 5 types of order statuses:
- Hold: Your order is being reviewed for processing.
- Processing: Your order is being reviewed and processed for shipment.
- Expected to ship: The date we expect to ship your backordered product.
- Shipped: Your order has been shipped
- Cancelled: Your order has been cancelled at your request or at the discretion of the United States Mint.
Please refer to our "Shipping Information & Return Policy" page for shipping timeframes.
Can I return items or request a refund?
Please refer to our “ Shipping Information and Return Policy” page for complete information regarding returns and refunds.
How can I reset my password?
In order to provide our customers with a safe and secure website experience, your password will need to be reset to meet the criteria below:
- One upper and one lowercase letter
- One special character
- One number
- At least eight characters in length
If you have any questions, you may contact us at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)
How can I receive product notification text messages?
You can sign up for two types of text messages from the U.S. Mint:
1. Notifications about a particular product
On any Product Details Page, or from the Product Schedule, click the “Remind Me” button to be notified when a product goes on sale or a product comes off backorder.
When you click the “Remind Me” button, you can enter your email address to receive email notifications about the product or follow the directions to text the product’s SKU to the Mint and receive future text updates about the product.
Please note: the “Remind Me” button is only available for products that have not yet gone on sale and for products on backorder.
2. Notifications about all products
You can also request text message notifications when any new product is released. You can do this in three ways:
a. Text “JOIN” to 69776.
b. On the “Sign Up for Our Email List” page – by following the directions to text “JOIN” to the Mint.
c. If you have an account on the Mint website, you will find the same directions on the Communication Preferences page in your user profile.
d. Confirmation required: After you request text messages, you will receive a confirmation message at the mobile number you entered. You must reply to this message with “Y” to activate your subscription. If this verification is not made, you will not receive further text messages.
Is there a charge for text messages?
The U.S. Mint provides text messages free of charge. However, you should be aware of any fees your mobile service provider may charge for text messages.
How do I stop receiving messages or receive help with messages?
You can reply to any text message, or send a new message to 69776, with the following commands:
- JOIN: to sign up for all Products & Promotions Updates text messages.
- STOP: to stop receiving text messages.
- HELP: to receive a text message with additional help information.
- The JOIN request needs to be sent from the mobile number from which you wish to receive text messages. You must reply “Y” to confirm your text message opt-in, or no further messages will be sent.
- The STOP request needs to be sent from the mobile number on which you want to stop receiving messages.
- Only the words JOIN, STOP, HELP, and SKU numbers for Remind Me alerts are recognized and processed by the system. Messages containing additional text will not work.
Can I send a text message to the U.S. Mint?
The Mint’s text messaging service does not watch for inbound customer text messages. Only messages containing the keywords JOIN, STOP, HELP, and SKU numbers for Remind Me alerts are processed by the system. If you need to contact the U.S. Mint, please visit the Customer Service page on our website where you will find a number of ways to reach us.
Are there limits on the use of text messages?