Frequently Asked Questions
Most Popular Questions
What's the difference between bullion, proof, uncirculated, and circulating coins?
Bullion Coins: Are precious metal coins intended for investors. They are:
- Valued by the weight of the precious metal, which fluctuates based on its daily price.
- Not sold to the general public through the United States Mint. Instead, these coins are sold through dealers located throughout the United States.
The remaining qualities of coins are sold directly by the United States Mint to collectors and others as gifts and keepsakes. They are:
Proof Coins: Are the finest quality of coin produced by the United States Mint. The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice. The coins are then carefully packaged to showcase and preserve their exceptional finish. These coins:
- Are struck at least twice, which gives the coin a frosted, sculpted foreground for a glamorous shine; defined, intricate design; and mirror-like background.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
- Are encased in a protective capsule.
Uncirculated Coins: Are hand-loaded into the coining press and struck on specially burnished blanks, yet have a soft, matt-like finish appearance. These coins:
- Are made like circulating coins (which are used everyday as money), but with a special process that produces a brilliant finish.
- Come with an official Certificate of Authenticity.
Circulating Coins: Are produced for circulations, but those sold directly by the United States Mint are never released to the Federal Reserve Bank. These coins:
- Are typically offered by the Mint in rolls, bags or boxes, which do not include Certificates of Authenticity.
Why is a "signature required"?
Due to the value of your order, your order may be modified to a shipping method that requires an adult signature at the time of delivery. This shipping method is automatically selected to ensure the product arrives to you safely and securely; however, this may be different than the Shipping & Handling option selected during checkout. We recommend selecting a convenient shipping address that allows you to sign for your United States Mint product upon delivery.
- Once an order is placed, the shipping address cannot be modified.
- If the order has been processed for shipment, you must contact the carrier to determine options for receipt of the shipment.
- You are not required to be personally present; however, an adult (21 years of age or older) must be available to sign for your United States Mint delivery.
- If an adult is not present to receive this package, a number of additional attempts to deliver will be made (number of attempts dependent on carrier). If all attempts are unsuccessful, your order will be returned to the distribution center, and a full refund will be processed to the original form of payment. If you would like to request a pick up from a carrier location, please contact the carrier directly.
What forms of payment do you accept?
Payment in U.S. dollars must accompany all orders.
- Orders placed online can be paid using credit cards and United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates.
- Orders placed via mail can be paid using credit cards, checks, or money orders.
- Orders placed via telephone can be paid using credit cards, United States Mint issued E-Gift Certificates, or a wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders which total less than $24,999.99 can be paid using a credit card or wire transfer.
- Bulk Customer orders that total $24,999.99 or more must be paid using a wire transfer. Payment must be received at the United States Mint within 10 calendar days after the order has been placed to avoid cancellation.
The following credit cards are accepted:
- American Express
We do not accept payments through debit cards, unless when issued as check cards with a VISA or MasterCard logo.
Checks and money orders should be made payable to "United States Mint". Mail your order to:
United States Mint
PO Box 71191
Philadelphia, PA 19176-6191
Check payments may be converted into an electronic funds transfer (EFT). This means we will copy your check and use the account information on it to electronically debit your account for the amount of the check. The debit from your account will usually occur within 24 hours, and will be shown on your regular account statement. You will not receive your original check back. We will destroy your original check, but we will keep the copy of it. If the EFT cannot be processed for technical reasons, you authorize us to process the copy in place of your original check. If the EFT cannot be completed, we may try to make the transfer up to two times.
What’s the United States Mint Return Policy?
If for any reason within 7 days of receiving your product you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return the entire product for refund. Shipping charges will not be refunded for all returns.
The United States Mint will not accept partial returns nor will it issue partial refunds. For example, if you receive a United States Mint Silver Proof Set™ where one coin is in unacceptable condition, you must return the entire Proof Set, not just the one coin, to receive a refund.
For your protection, we strongly recommend that you return your order by insured mail and save the receipt for your records. The United States Mint is not responsible for lost return shipments.
All refunds will be credited in United States Dollars.
For further information about returns or refunds, Contact Customer Service.
Certificate of Non-Receipt (CNR)
If your order did not arrive or arrived with missing products, please fill out the attached CNR (Certificate of Non-Receipt) document 30 days after the scheduled delivery. Upon receipt of your CNR we will review your claim and provide resolution within 4-6 weeks. Any Certificate of Non-Receipt received after 60 calendar days of their scheduled delivery will be denied.
Please send a completed form to the address or fax number below:
UNITED STATES MINT
CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER
1201 ELM ST
DALLAS, TX 75270
Fax Number: 972-421-9801
If you cannot open the CNR file, please download the Adobe reader.
What’s the United States Mint Shipping Policy?
The United States Mint offers its customers various shipping options.
- Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.
- The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.
- In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.
- Registered and guest users may use Track Order to determine the status of your order and follow your shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. Guest users with other inquiries about their order, or those wishing to cancel an order prior to shipment, should Contact Customer Service at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
- The United States Mint ships within the United States and the following United States territories: American Samoa, Guam, Marianas Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.
- Regardless of shipping method selected, The United States Mint selects from a number of carriers to deliver your package.
- Shipping charges are subject to change without notice.
- Orders with merchandise valued at $300 or more or, orders containing any precious metals will require an auto signature upon delivery.
- For more information on shipping methods, Contact Customer Service.
The table below outlines the United States Mint online catalog shipping options, costs, and estimated shipping times from our distribution center.
|Delivery Method||Price (U.S. Dollars||Approximate Shipping Time|
|Budget Shipping||$4.95||1–2 weeks|
|Standard Shipping||$12.95||3–6 business days|
|Expedited Shipping||$17.95||2–3 business days|
|Next Day Shipping||$20.95||Next business day|
|International Shipping||$17.90 + $2.95 per item||1–2 weeks|
- Orders completed by mail, phone, fax, or through the United States Mint Online Catalog have a budget shipping fee of $4.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's budget shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- Orders completed by mail, phone, fax, or through the United States Mint Online Catalog using standard shipping method have a fee of $12.95 per order.
- Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint's standard shipping option usually arrive within 3 to 6 business days.
- You will be charged $17.95 for the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Expedited Shipping option usually arrive within 2 to 3 business days.
- Orders with Merchandise valued at $300 or more with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to signature-required Ground Shipping. Gift Wrap and Shipping and Handling charges are not considered part of the Merchandise total.
- Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping. If you choose expedited shipping you will be charged a fee of $17.95 regardless of if your shipment contains any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles.
- There is no Expedited Shipping option available for International orders.
Next Day Shipping
- You will be charged $20.95 for the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's Next Day Shipping option typically arrive the following business day if the order is received by noon ET.
- There is no Next Day Shipping option available for International orders.
- You will be charged $17.90 plus a $2.95 handling fee per item for the United States Mint's International Shipping option.
- Packages shipped using the United States Mint's International Shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
- You may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are not reflected in our prices. Duties and taxes are levied by your country or other overseas authority once a shipment reaches your country.
- You may also be required to pay additional charges for customs clearance. You should contact your local customs office for further information on applicable duties, taxes, restrictions, and fees.
The United States Mint ships most products to the geographical locations listed below. This list is subject to change without notice.
|BERMUDA||BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS||CANADA|
|CAYMAN ISLANDS/BRIT. WEST IND||CHILE||CHINA|
|GERMANY||GREAT BRITAIN NORTHERN IRELAND||GREECE|
|QATAR||REPUBLIC OF KOREA (S. KOREA)||REPUBLIC OF SAN MARINO|
|RUSSIAN FEDERATION||SAUDI ARABIA||SINGAPORE|
|TURKEY||UNITED ARAB EMIRATES|
How do you price your products?
The United States Mint works on a cost-recovery basis. We cannot use any tax dollars to fund our numismatic operations. Our goal is to provide the best quality numismatic products while keeping prices as low as practicable.
Our prices must be self-sufficient and cover all of the associated costs of our numismatic portfolio, plus enough margin to cushion against volatility. To achieve self-sufficiency, we determine the estimated cost to produce and sell the product. That price is used as our baseline. To calculate margin, we ask ourselves questions like:
- Are the proposed prices of this product consistent with similar products we offer of this type?
- Will the customer perceive this as a good value?
- Are we reaching as many customers as we can should we sell at this price?
- If we do not sell all of a specific product, is there enough budgeted for proper disposition (e.g., recovery, melting, recycling)?
Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount. Click here for detailed pricing instructions. Download the Adobe reader here.
The United States Mint’s numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer. Any excess funds are returned to the Treasury General Fund to reduce the annual budget deficit of the federal government.
What are order and household limits?
In cases where we have limited-mintage products (e.g., legislatively mandated or Mint established production or mintage limits), the United States Mint may impose order or household limits. Order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible. As we monitor our products, limits may be implemented, adjusted, or removed at our discretion.
What are the United States Mint's standard processing and fulfillment procedures?
The United States Mint processes all orders on a first-in, first-served basis. Once an order confirmation number is generated, the order is processed in the sequence it was received. Please allow 1-2 days for processing. Inventory is immediately reserved and the order fulfillment process begins. This includes products with a backorder status once inventory becomes available. Orders placed before the official on-sale date/time are not valid and will be cancelled.
- If an order has outstanding issues (such as credit card holds, household order limit violations, or address verification conflicts), the next orders in line can be fulfilled before the one with outstanding issues. While the issues for an order are being worked out, the status of an order may display "hold" during this time. Once the outstanding issues are resolved, the order is re-inserted next in line. Accordingly, such re-inserted orders will not be processed for shipment in the same sequence as their order numbers.
- Each day, the order management system generates several "ship lists" which contain all of the orders in line that have been cleared for shipment. These orders can be broken into categories to gain efficiencies; however, within the categories, orders will be shipped in sequence.
- Personnel at the fulfillment center package and prepare for shipping all orders on their designated ship list in the most efficient manner. After an order is completely packaged and prepared for shipment, it is then moved to the shipping team for carrier pick-up. If the product is moved to the carrier pick-up area, an e-mail ship confirmation will be sent to the customer with tracking information.
- If, by the end of the day, all orders on the daily ship lists did not complete the fulfillment process, which is complete with the e-mail ship confirmation, those orders carry over to the next day. For example, if the daily ship list contained the next 3,000 orders in line, but the fulfillment center only completed to shipment 2,000 orders, the remaining 1,000 orders carry over to the next day.
Where is my order?
If your order contains only products that are "in stock," we will process your order within 7 business days. Depending on your choice of shipping options, please allow approximately 1-2 weeks for delivery from the date of processing. If you've ordered products that are in "backordered" status, your order may take longer than our standard processing and shipping time.
Registered and guest users may use "Track Order" to determine the status of their order and follow its shipment, provided the carrier supports this option. There may be a delay on the shipper's end to display tracking information.
There are 5 types of order statuses:
- Hold: Your order is being reviewed for processing.
- Processing: Your order is being reviewed and processed for shipment.
- Expected to ship: The date we expect to ship your backordered product.
- Shipped: Your order has been shipped
- Cancelled: Your order has been cancelled at your request or at the discretion of the United States Mint.
Please refer to our "Shipping Information & Return Policy" page for shipping timeframes.
Can I return items or request a refund?
Please refer to our “ Shipping Information and Return Policy” page for complete information regarding returns and refunds.
How can I reset my password?
In order to provide our customers with a safe and secure website experience, your password will need to be reset to meet the criteria below:
- One upper and one lowercase letter
- One special character
- One number
- At least eight characters in length
If you have any questions, you may contact us at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)