This set contains 14 2013-dated coins in proof quality, protectively encased in three clear plastic lenses and newly designed packaging. United States Mint proof coins feature sharp relief and a mirror-like background. Their frosted, sculpted foregrounds give them a special cameo effect. Proof blanks are specially treated, polished and cleaned to ensure high quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice to ensure sharp relief. The coins are then packaged in a protective lens to showcase and maintain their exceptional finish.
The 2013 edition of the United States Mint Proof Set features:
- The fourth annual release of five quarters in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program;
- The seventh annual release of four coins from the Presidential $1 Coin Program;
- One Native American $1 Coin, Kennedy half-dollar, Roosevelt dime, Jefferson nickel and Lincoln penny.
Each coin in the quarter series features a common obverse (heads side) with the 1932 portrait of George Washington by John Flanagan, restored to bring out subtle details and the beauty of the original model. Inscriptions are UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST and QUARTER DOLLAR.
The 2013 reverses (tails sides) of these coins honor the sites below with the following designs:
- White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire:
- This design depicts Mt. Chocorua, the easternmost peak of the Sandwich Range, framed by birch trees. It is an iconic view of the White Mountain National Forest system lands. Inscriptions are WHITE MOUNTAIN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.
- Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial in Ohio:
- This design features the statue of Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry with the Peace Memorial located in the distance. The memorial is one of the tallest of its kind in the U.S. Inscriptions are PERRY’S VICTORY, OHIO, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.
- Great Basin National Park in Nevada:
- This design features the beauty and unique qualities of a single Bristlecone Pine tree and shows the rocky glacial moraines where the trees grow. These trees grow at higher elevation in the park and are some of the world’s oldest. The park contains numerous Bristlecone Pine groves with trees older than 4,000 years. Inscriptions are GREAT BASIN, NEVADA, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.
- Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine in Maryland:
- The design represents the site during the “Defenders Day” celebration, considered the centerpiece annual event held at Fort McHenry. The fireworks symbolize the “rocket’s red glare,” linking the fort to its historic past. Inscriptions are FORT McHENRY, MARYLAND, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota:
- This design was inspired by photos of men who are adding the final details to Thomas Jefferson’s face. Mount Rushmore was featured on three 1991 Mount Rushmore Golden Anniversary Commemorative Coins and on the 2006 South Dakota quarter issued under the 50 State Quarters® Program. This new design is distinctly different and offers a unique and educational perspective on how Mount Rushmore was created and sculpted. Inscriptions are MOUNT RUSHMORE, SOUTH DAKOTA, 2013 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.
Each coin in the Presidential $1 Coin Program has a common reverse (tails side) design featuring a striking rendition of the Statue of Liberty. These 2013 coins feature large, dramatic artwork, as well as edge-incused inscriptions of the year of minting or issuance, E PLURIBUS UNUM and the mint mark. IN GOD WE TRUST appears on the face of the coin.
The 2013 obverses (heads sides) of these coins honor these Presidents:
- William McKinley:
- This design features an image of William McKinley with the inscriptions WILLIAM MCKINLEY, IN GOD WE TRUST, 25th PRESIDENT and 1897-1901.
- Theodore Roosevelt:
- This design features an image of Theodore Roosevelt with the inscriptions THEODORE ROOSEVELT, IN GOD WE TRUST, 26th PRESIDENT and 1901 - 1909.
- William Howard Taft:
- This design features an image of William Howard Taft with the inscriptions WILLIAM HOWARD TAFT, IN GOD WE TRUST, 27th PRESIDENT and 1909 - 1913.
- Woodrow Wilson:
- This design features an image of Woodrow Wilson with the inscriptions WOODROW WILSON, IN GOD WE TRUST, 28th PRESIDENT and 1913 - 1921.
The obverse (heads side) design of the Native American $1 Coin retains the central figure of the "Sacagawea" design first produced in 2000 with the inscriptions LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST. The 2013 Native American reverse design is entitled Delaware Treaty (1778). The reverse (tails side) design features a turkey, howling wolf, and turtle (all symbols of the clans of the Delaware Tribe), and a ring of 13 stars to represent the Colonies.
There are no design changes to the half-dollar, dime, nickel and penny.
The United States Mint launched the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program in 2010. The 12-year initiative includes 56 quarters featuring reverse designs depicting some of our most cherished national parks and other national sites. The United States Mint will issue five new quarter designs per year, with one final design in 2021. The fourth year of the program, 2013, features the fourth group of five quarters in the series.
The United States Mint launched the Presidential $1 Coin Program in 2007. The 10-year initiative includes dollar coins featuring obverse designs honoring our Nation’s Presidents in the order in which they served in office. The seventh year of the program, 2013, features the seventh set of four $1 coins in the series.
In 2009, the United States Mint began minting and issuing $1 coins featuring designs celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States. During the years of the program that correspond with the Presidential $1 Coin Program, Native American $1 Coins will be issued, to the maximum extent practicable, in the chronological order in which the Native Americans depicted lived or the events recognized occurred.
|Specification Name||Specification Value 1||Specification Value 2||Specification Value 3||Specification Value 4|
|Composition||2.5% Copper, Balance Zinc||25% Nickel, Balance Copper||8.33% Nickel, Balance Copper||8.33% Nickel, Balance Copper|
|Weight||2.500 grams||5.000 grams||2.268 grams||5.670 grams|
|Diameter||0.750 inch |
|0.835 inch |
|0.705 inch |
|0.955 inch |
|Mint and Mint Mark||San Francisco - S||San Francisco - S||San Francisco - S||San Francisco - S|
| Coins included in this set:|
|Specification Name||Specification Value 1||Specification Value 2||Specification Value 3|
|Denomination||Half-dollar||Presidential $1 Coins||Native American $1 Coins|
|Composition||8.33% Nickel, Balance Copper||6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel, Balance Copper||6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, 2% Nickel, Balance Copper|
|Weight||11.340 grams||8.100 grams||8.100 grams|
|Diameter||1.205 inches |
|1.043 inches |
|1.043 inches |
|Mint and Mint Mark||San Francisco - S||San Francisco - S||San Francisco - S|
| Coins included in this set:|
On-Sale Date: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time of March 28, 2013, at 12 noon (ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored. This product will be available until December 2014 or until sold out, whichever is first.
Credit Card: If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current to avoid any delays in processing your order. If your credit card has expired by the time of shipment, your order will be cancelled. To update credit card information after an order has been placed, you must call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
Shipping: Please allow one to two (1-2) weeks for shipping of in-stock products.